Tuesday, June 15, 2010

My Surgery.

So I've been getting a lot of questions (understandably) about what kind of procedure I'm having done so I thought this was a necessary post. I must say though, it's pretty funny because every time I tell someone I'm having my colon removed their first response is something akin to...

"...but..uhm..really? Don't you need that?"

The short answer is no. Not anymore! It's terrible. It wants to give me cancer and make me sick everyday. Get it outta here!

I received a packet of information from the Midwest Colon and Rectal Surgery center giving me instructions for preparing for my surgery. It states...

Type of surgery: Laparoscopic Assisted Total Proctocolectomy Ileo J-Pouch Anal Anastamosis with possible Temporary Loop Ileostomy.

What a mouthful, huh?

Okay, let's go through this word by word..

Laparoscopic Assisted-When a surgery is done laparoscopically, it basically means they don't have to completely cut me open to get this organ out. Here, when I googled it, this is the explanation I got for laparoscopic proctocolectomy...

"A laparoscopic proctocolectomy is a minimally invasive surgery to remove the rectum and colon; the surgeon passes a video camera (laparoscope) and surgical instruments through several small "keyhole" incisions in the abdomen to perform the surgery."

So yes. Rather than having one huge incision along my entire midsection, I'll have a few smaller incisions. This is good.

Alright, what's next...

Ileo J-Pouch Anal Anastamosis..

The mayo clinic describes this by saying...
"The ileal pouch-anal anastomosis (IPAA) is a complex surgical procedure developed to avoid a permanent stoma (opening for collecting waste) in cases where the entire colon and rectum needs to be removed. This procedure is most often used to treat patients with chronic ulcerative colitis. The IPAA procedure involves removal of the entire colon and rectum with preservation of the anus and sphincter muscles. After removal of the colon and rectum, the surgeon constructs a pouch from the end of the small intestine and attaches it directly to the anus. In order to allow time for the pouch to heal, a temporary ileostomy (opening in the front of the abdomen) is created. The ileostomy is reversed a few months later in a second operation and the patient begins to pass bowel movements through the anus, with only slight alterations in the frequency of bowel movements. In most cases the IPAA procedure can be performed laparoscopically, which minimizes the incision length and decreases postoperative discomfort and the hospital stay."

Basically that explains all of it. It's being done with little cameras so I don't have to be cut completely open, and therefore don't have to be in the hospital as long (though if you ask me, 4-7 days is long enough for me). I'm having my colon and rectum removed. Then a pouch will be constructed from my small intestine and attached to my anus. I will then (most likely) have a temporary loop ileostomy. This is where the end of the small intestine is brought to the surface of my skin on my abdomen and I will have a pouch outside of my body to collect my waste. This is only temporary, to allow for my j-pouch to heal before waste will be passed through it. A few months after this first surgery, I will have yet another surgery where they get rid of my ileostomy and hook up my new pipeworks!

Basically they're constructing a new makeshift colon inside of me using my small intestine. It won't be exactly the same, but then again, I don't want to be the same as I am now. My digestive system is being considerably shortened, so I will go to the bathroom more often than "normal" people, but I do that already anyway thanks to the UC. At least I won't be in pain anymore! So yes, waste will go from my small intestine, into this new pouch (which is also part of my small intestine, just reconfigured) and then out of my body. The pouch acts for me as a colon does for everyone else. Your colon basically holds your poo until you're ready to go to the bathroom. That's exactly the purpose of my j-pouch. Make sense??

There is a chance I will not have to have an ostomy bag. I won't know until I wake up whether or not I'm going to have one. This is a little worrysome to me, but I trust my doctor. Sometimes they do this procedure all in one step where they just hook you right up and let you go. The nurse told me he will not be able to tell what I'm going to need to happen until he gets in there...so yeah..I may wake up with a stoma and I may not. I'm prepared either way.

Prepared to feel better and to be healthy goddamnit!

No comments:

Post a Comment