Sunday, October 11, 2009

Questions for my surgeon...

I've been doing TONS of research in preparation for meeting with my surgeon/having my surgery. I've put together a list of questions to ask my surgeon when I meet with him on Wednesday. I know I could find the answers online, but it's hard to make sure you're getting the information from a reliable source sometimes, plus I want to hear it from my surgeon. Anyway, I wanted to post the list here in case anyone had any ideas of questions I was missing. Any help is much appreciated!

-What are the differences between the different surgeries? IPAA vs IPDRA
-What are the pros and cons of each?
-What is the normal length of time between colectomy and take-down?
-How long is the recovery period for each stage? (getting up and around, and getting completely back to normal)
-How long will I need to stay in the hospital for each stage?
-How long will I need someone to take care of me for each stage?
-What meds will be required after surgery?
-For each surgery, what is the likelihood of recurrence of UC in remaining bowels?
-How often do your patients develop fertility issues?
-How common is loss of bowel control? (day and night?)
-I know that I'll be going to the bathroom much more frequently, but will the same urgency be present (as there was with UC?)
-How many incisions and where?
-How many of these surgeries have you done?
-Would you be able to operate in late December or early January?
-I was told there are medicines that can be taken that make the waste in the ileostomy bag odorless/colorless, is this true?

I'm also allergic to tape/bandages/etc. so I'm hoping they have some sort of alternate method they can use for my IVs and such...and using surgical tape for my wounds after/instead of stitches is probably going to be a no go as well...


I'm so incredibly nervous. This is such a huge step!

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    I just came across your blog on google. Was wondering if you have tried the Specific Carbohydrate Diet to treat Ulcerative Colitis. I was diagnosed with severe UC back in 2004 and put on meds by my doctor which really didn't do much to help me. Then I found out about the diet and within months was symptom free and med free and have been ever since. It really helped me and saved me from years of pain and discomfort. I have more information about it on my blog at www.comfytummy.com. All the best to you.

    ReplyDelete